Monday 11 June 2018

Against the dying of the light

When empty rhetoric boasts
You have to brace immodesty
And raise a few toasts
To a nobody like yourself, and to the noble souls punished for their quiet honesty.

xxx

i have
cried
ached
sweated
bled
for my country.
everything,
from the calluses on my feet
to the etched sun on my face,
bear witness to it.

and while i realise
that all i did were selfish acts performed for myself
because so many of our interests are tied together,
and while i know,
it is a mere drop
from the ocean
i am capable of giving, hope to give,

I shall not stand at ease and pay attention
As you spout forth on how I should love my country, how I should bay for others' blood to prove the purity of mine
But remind you that I have held by breath to be able to hear its cries
When you were busy talking down to it.


First published in Madness Muse Press, 11 Jun 2018.



No comments:

Powered By Blogger

FOLLOWERS

Blogger last spotted practising feminism, writing, editing, street theatre, aspirational activism.